The good news is regardless of how much determination you have shown to date, you can improve your levels of determination.
It all begins by eliminating these five behaviours:
1. Determined agents don’t give up on their goal, regardless of how tough things get. They have powerful reasons that force them to keep going. Their ability to continue to fight while others drop off is what earns them the title, while others watch on with envy.
If you want to be more determined, decide first that you will not give up until you achieve your goal. Get clear on the reasons why you must achieve it and what the consequences of giving up are. The greater the consequences you have, the greater your level of determination.
2. Determined agents don’t let failure stop them. They understand they may fail initially and frequently, but they will succeed eventually. Failure is not the opposite of success, but rather part of their journey to success.
3. Determined agents don’t let a fear of rejection stop them. They are willing to ask lots of people lots of times until they get what they want. To get one successful listing, you need to knock on a lot of doors. You’ll never keep going unless you’re determined.
Any agent who has succeeded over time has used their determination to overcome rejection. Success in our industry has never been and never will be easy. Don’t kid yourself. If you want to make it, turn up your determination.
4. Determined agents are not impulsive. They are patient, willing to wait for their opportunity to pounce. In today’s society, we are all about wanting everything right now. We look for instant success, instant riches and instant gratification. The determined are completely different. They are prepared to wait until their turn shows up.
Donald Trump, love him or hate him, is one of the most determined people you’ll meet. He watched the building at 40 Wall Street in Manhattan for decades before making his move. Now that’s patience!
5. Determined agents are not lazy. They understand you can’t achieve a million-dollar dream with a $10-an-hour work ethic. The most determined in our industry end up becoming the most successful because they willing to do what it takes. They use their determination to outwork their competition. That’s what makes them successful.
If you want to succeed in this industry, you need to out-work, out-hustle, out-think and sometimes out-wait the competition. It’s not just the extra hours you put in but what you do with the extra time that matters. Ensure you are taking the right actions toward achieving your dreams – otherwise, the extra hours won’t matter. Hard work that’s dumb is demoralising. Work hard, but be smart as well.
It can be a long ride to the top and you have to be willing to do what it takes for as long as it takes. That’s determination. That’s what it will take. Are you ready?
To your success,