We generally hear from tenants when they are unhappy or believe that the property managers are accusing them of something.
Historical evidence should substantiate a property manager’s reason for contacting the tenant, or issues within the agency will be exposed.
How can property managers minimise this activity? Through effective communication: verbal, written and non-verbal. Written communication can be broken down further: letters, texts and emails. Tenants can feel disrespected if they are not heard when communicating with property managers.
Property managers are often busy trying to complete more than one task at a time. In doing so many things at once, we can miss things. How are you or your property managers conducting your daily tasks?
All forms of communication must be factual, without excess emotion. Property managers can also offer tenants helpful tips in relation to the suburb and property, such as:
- Locations of all types of educational facilities
- Locations of medical facilities
- Locations of transport facilities
- How to make a small home look bigger
- Garbage collection days
- How to keep the home mould/mildew-free
- How to use PM’s maintenance programs – supply instructions on how to use your systems effectively and without frustration
- How to make sure the rent is paid on time every week
- How to read the ledger
- How to communicate with the property manager’s agency – explain your expectations for both sides as to response times, e.g. ‘Property managers will return all forms of communication by: _______; after this time your communication response will be next working day.’
Or the responsibilities of both tenants and property managers:
- Rent to be paid as per the lease agreement
- Property managers will monitor rent arrears daily
- Tenants must not to be a nuisance to neighbours
- No damage to be caused to the property
- Breach notices to be issued within legislative guidelines
- Property managers will carry out maintenance within a reasonable time-frame, taking into account owner authorisation
- Property managers will not tolerate poor behaviour; property managers will show respect
How many of the above suggestions does your agency perform? Are there more that your property managers are currently performing?