Landlords are being reminded of the dangers of dangling blind cords following the tragic death of an 18 month-old child in Port Stevens.
Laura and Clinton Mackay’s son Jack died after choking on cords attached to the vertical blinds in his bedroom.
The couple are now warning others about the dangers of the cords
"Society goes above and beyond in keeping kids safe but something so simple, you just don't think about it," Ms Mackay told the Port Stephens Examiner.
"Ideally, we would like Jack to be the last to die from something that can be prevented so easily."
The incident occurred on August 22 at the family home. Mr Mackay had put Jack down for a nap. Just before 2:30pm he checked on the boy in his cot and found him with the beaded blind cord around his neck.
Mr Mackay contacted emergency services who rushed to the home. Paramedics performed CPR on Jack before he was taken to John Hunter Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
In response to the toddler’s death, Dowling Real Estate at Raymond Terrace has sent an information sheet to its landlords about rental property blind cord requirements recommended by NSW Department of Fair Trading.
“Because of the tragedy we have recommended to them that if there are any loose cords that they have them affixed to the frame,” property manager Liz Chapman told Residential Property Manager.
“Any new blinds that were installed would already have them already affixed to the frame and we’re checking them at our inspections and our handyman has just installed little cords that are loose.
“We’ve done this to prevent this from happening again.”
On its website NSW Fair Trading has urged parents and carers to take steps to remove the threats to young children and babies posed by existing curtain and blind cords.
“Most people don’t give a second thought to the cords used to open and close curtains and blinds,” it said.
“Yet overseas and Australian cases reveal that these seemingly innocent items are capable of strangling young children and babies.”