Property managers are reminded to conduct safety checks of bunk beds in short-term rental accommodation in the lead-up to the school holidays.
Queensland Office of Fair Trading director Brian Bauer said while there were current safety standards in place for bunk beds, old bunk beds that may still be in use in short-term rental accommodation could put children at risk.
“Recent figures show almost 300 children are treated in Queensland hospital emergency departments each year with bunk bed-related injuries,” Mr Bauer said.
“Most of these injuries were the result of children aged five to nine years falling from a bunk bed.
“A tragic death in the UK late last year also highlighted the danger of placing infants on the bottom bunk, where there is a risk of accidental hanging if they become trapped between the mattress and the ladder.”
The department is warning parents that bunk beds and regular beds are not safe places for a baby to sleep. They should only sleep in a cot or portable cot compliant with Australian standards.
Mr Bauer said that while parents can control the quality of bunk beds in their homes, they have less influence over beds used in holiday accommodation.
“In the lead up to the busy holiday period parents should check with accommodation providers before making a booking to ensure bunk beds meet safety standards,” Mr Bauer said.
“If not, they should consider a room without bunk beds or moving bedding to the floor.”
From October 21, bunk beds supplied in short-term rental accommodation in Queensland will have to meet mandatory safety standards.