The Victorian Greens will this week introduce a bill to state parliament to push for standards for private rental accommodation.
The party also wants tougher new laws that will protect people in rental accommodation from faulty gas heaters, following the death of Chase and Tyler Robinson in a rental home in central Victoria in 2010.
An inquest into the brothers’ deaths found that the boys had died from carbon monoxide poisoning from a leaking gas heater.
Victorian Greens leader Greg Barber said the first step was to show politicians what renters had to put up with.
“So I've launched an online survey called 'Dob in a Dive'. You can dob in your own 'dive', or a friend's, and bring a camera along to open for inspections because you can upload photos to the website," he said.
"Social justice and community groups have been calling for minimum standards for rental homes for years because the accommodation crisis is pushing people to accept some pretty dodgy places, just to have a roof over their heads."
Mr Barber has been working with the victims’ mother, Vanessa Robinson, who is also the founder and director of the Chase and Tyler Foundation.
She said, “My two children died from carbon monoxide poisoning in 2010 from faulty heater in our rental premises. The current legislation in place did not, nor currently, protects our community members from these unsafe situations. These new laws could prevent the same tragedy of the death of my children from happening to another family, as well as looking after the long-term health of our community members.”