Property managers and agencies are often too caught up in the day-to-day to worry about marketing. Therefore, if you’re going to do it, you want to make sure you’re doing it effectively and efficiently.
Founder of Create Design & Marketing, Sascha Moore, warns against relying too heavily on techniques that have worked for you in the past or blindly copying the marketing efforts of your competitors.
Speaking to RPM's sister publication My Business on the My Business Podcast, she said it is understandable that business owners want to stick to something that has previously worked for them.
“But what that alienates is the other elements that can work to make that better, or whether maybe that works in some scenarios and not as a blanket approach,” Ms Moore said.
Another trap, she said, is copying the marketing techniques of their competitors – trying to do the same thing, just better.
“But ‘just better’ can mean a lot of different things.”
Instead, Ms Moore offers five timeless ways to nail your marketing more effectively:
1. Properly understand your customer. Who are they? What are their expectations? What challenges do they face? How can you help them?
2. Establish your point of difference from your competitors.
3. Understand that marketing is about changing your messaging, not changing your product or service.
4. Establish a short, simple and well-defined marketing plan.
5. Regularly update that marketing plan as things change. Don’t make it a lengthy dossier that hides in a drawer somewhere.