Homes with Infinity and Olsent cabling installed between 2010 and 2013 could be at risk of fire or its occupants could be electrocuted, the ACCC has warned.
The cabling could become prematurely brittle and break when placed near heat sources and in roof spaces, which could result in electrical shocks or fires if moved.
A voluntary recall, which began in 2013, resulted in 54 per cent of the cable recalled and fixed.
“Your home might be a ticking time-bomb if you haven’t had Infinity cabling replaced,” ACCC deputy chair Delia Rickard said.
If the cables are left in and damage, injury or death occurs, property owners may be held liable.
“In some circumstances, suppliers, installers and property owners may be liable to pay compensation for injury or property damage caused by Infinity cable installed in buildings,” Ms Rickard said.
The ACCC said property owners can be refunded the cost of an inspection, as well as remediation.
“If you have had electrical cables installed in your home between 2010 and 2013, the ACCC is urging you to get your home inspected by a licensed electrician. Do not attempt to inspect the cabling yourself,” Ms Rickard said.