Market activity divides agents

Market activity divides agents

01 June 2011 by Staff Reporter 0 comments

Matthew Sullivan

The industry is divided over whether or not investors will drive the market over the coming 12 months.

According to Real Estate Business’ latest weekly straw poll, 50.2 per cent of agents believe investors will be the biggest driver of market activity over the next 12 months, while the remaining 49.8 per cent believe other segments will play the main role.

RP Data’s research analyst Cameron Kusher believes investors will not drive market activity.

Speaking to Real Estate Business, Mr Kusher said investors realise that the current market has limited capital growth opportunities.

“Property investors have become accustomed to strong capital growth over a short period of time in recent years,” Mr Kusher said.

“With the prospects of strong capital growth limited for the moment, I suspect we won’t see much investor activity.”

However, Mortgage Choice chief executive Michael Russell does not agree and believes investors are in a prime position to enter the market.

“Looking forward, the fundamentals for property investment are clearly enticing; flat property prices, rising rents, falling vacancy rates, housing undersupply and a further deterioration in affordability,” he said.

“Property listings are above average, and investors are in a good position to buy. Those who do will not need to look far for a good tenant.”

Matthew Sullivan

The industry is divided over whether or not investors will drive the market over the coming 12 months.

According to Real Estate Business’ latest weekly straw poll, 50.2 per cent of agents believe investors will be the biggest driver of market activity over the next 12 months, while the remaining 49.8 per cent believe other segments will play the main role.

RP Data’s research analyst Cameron Kusher believes investors will not drive market activity.

Speaking to Real Estate Business, Mr Kusher said investors realise that the current market has limited capital growth opportunities.

“Property investors have become accustomed to strong capital growth over a short period of time in recent years,” Mr Kusher said.

“With the prospects of strong capital growth limited for the moment, I suspect we won’t see much investor activity.”

However, Mortgage Choice chief executive Michael Russell does not agree and believes investors are in a prime position to enter the market.

“Looking forward, the fundamentals for property investment are clearly enticing; flat property prices, rising rents, falling vacancy rates, housing undersupply and a further deterioration in affordability,” he said.

“Property listings are above average, and investors are in a good position to buy. Those who do will not need to look far for a good tenant.”

promoted content
Recommended by Spike Native Network
Listen to other installment of the Real Estate Business Podcast
reb top 100 agents 2016

With a combined sales volume of $13 billion in 2016, the Top 100 Agents ranking represents the very best sales agents in Australia. Find out what sets them apart and learn their secrets to success.

featured podcast

featured podcast
REVEALED: The 10 best agents in Australia for 2017

For the first time ever, the top 10 agents in the REB Top 100 Agents ranking are revealed in this exclusive podcast. ...

View all podcasts

Are dodgy agents being punished enough?

Yes (8.6%)
No (55%)
Only in some states (2.3%)
Not all dodgy agents are being found out (34.1%)

Total votes: 220
The voting for this poll has ended on: April 15, 2017
Do you have an industry update?