realestatebusiness logo
Subscribe to our newsletter SIGN UP

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

rpm logo latest

If you manage a property with a pool, you need to read this...

08 June 2016 Sarah Latham

As you may be aware, there have been some significant changes to swimming pool and spa laws for landlords, as well as vendors who intend to sell their homes.

These changes to swimming pool laws are designed to improve the safety of young children around swimming pools and ensure home buyers and tenants are informed about the safety status of the pool on the property they are buying or leasing.

What does this mean for landlords?

When a new Residential Tenancy Agreement for properties with a swimming pool or spa is entered into, the landlord or their property manager must give the tenant a copy of a valid certificate of compliance or occupation certificate, issued in the past three years. This requirement does not apply to properties in strata or community schemes with more than two lots, as these properties are already subject to council inspections every three years.


Failure to provide a new tenant with a certificate of compliance or a valid occupation certificate at the time the Residential Tenancy Agreement is entered into could result in the landlord breaching the agreement. The tenant may then apply to the tribunal to have the agreement terminated.

If you would like to check if your pool is registered, or has a compliance certificate, you can click here to learn more information about the changes.

If you manage a property with a pool, you need to read this...
Sarah Latham
lawyersweekly logo
Recommended by Spike Native Network
Listen to other installment of the Real Estate Business Podcast


Subscribe to our RPM mailing list


Do you have an industry update?
Ensure you never miss an issue of the Real Estate Business Bulletin. Enter your email to receive the latest real estate advice and tools to help you sell.