Breaking news and updates daily. Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Home of the REB Top 100 Agents
Breaking news and updates daily. Subscribe to our newsletter

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

Victorian government guarantees commercial rent relief

By Bianca Dabu
10 August 2021 | 1 minute read
Victorian government guarantees commercial rent relief

Eligible commercial tenants across Victoria will be provided rent relief with the reintroduction of the Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme.

The legislation to reintroduce the Commercial Tenancy Relief Scheme was approved by the Parliament last week, 5 August 2021.

Under the scheme, businesses that have experienced a loss in turnover of more than 30 per cent during the pandemic are now guaranteed rent reductions.

The rent relief will be proportionate to the business’s reduction in turnover when comparing the final quarter of the 2020–21 financial year and that of 2018–19.

For example, a business seeing turnover of 40 per cent of pre-pandemic levels can only be charged 40 per cent of their rent. Of the remaining balance (the 60 per cent), half will be waived while the remainder will be deferred.

While tenants and landlords are encouraged to enter negotiations directly, the Victorian Small Business Commission (VSBC) will reportedly be available to mediate should parties be unable to reach an agreement.

The protections will be backdated to start from when the announcement was first made last Wednesday, which means commercial landlords are now prohibited from issuing an eviction notice for eligible tenants without obtaining a direction from the VSBC.

“Tenants and landlords have already been working together really well and we’d encourage them to continue to do so to achieve fair outcomes,” according to Minister for Small Business Jaala Pulford.

In order to ensure that new businesses don’t miss out on the assistance, the government has placed special arrangements to assess the turnover impacts for new businesses which were not operating in 2019.

Support for landlords

The government has also announced support for landlords who do aid their tenants.

Landlords assisting eligible commercial tenants will be provided a land tax relief of up to 25 per cent, in addition to any previous relief, with the cost estimated to be around $100 million.

In addition, small landlords who can demonstrate acute hardship may be eligible for payments as part of the government’s $20 million hardship fund.

“This passing of this legislation provides peace of mind for small businesses who are struggling to pay the rent, giving them the security they need,” Ms Pulford concluded.

Victorian government guarantees commercial rent relief
Melbourne skyline river reb
lawyersweekly logo

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Never miss a beat with

Stay across what’s happening in the Australian commercial property market by signing up to receive industry-specific news and policy alerts, agency updates, and insights from reb.

Subscribe to reb Commercial:

Rankings
rankings
JUST RELEASED
May 09, 2022

REB Top 50 Women in Real Estate 2022

REB is thrilled to present the Top 50 Women in Real Estate 2022 ranking, which sets t ... LEARN MORE

rankings
JUST RELEASED
May 04, 2022

REB Top 100 Agents 2022

Now in its second decade, the REB Top 100 Agents 2022 rankings are the most revered s ... LEARN MORE

rankings
JUST RELEASED
May 02, 2022

REB Top 50 Agents NSW 2022

Even a pandemic has not put the brakes on the unstoppable property market in NSW, whi ... LEARN MORE

rankings
JUST RELEASED
April 27, 2022

REB Top 50 Agents VIC 2022

The COVID-19 crisis has not deterred the property market in Victoria, which has been ... LEARN MORE

rankings
JUST RELEASED
April 25, 2022

REB Top 50 Agents QLD 2022

As the property market continues to roar in Brisbane and Queensland, the REB Top 50 A ... LEARN MORE

Coming up

rankings rankings
Do you have an industry update?

top suburbs

12 month growth
Mirador
103.33%
Bawley Point
98.13%
Walla Walla
90.7%
Byron Bay
86.67%
Kiama Heights
85.93%
Greta
84.14%
Nulkaba
81%
South Hobart
78.78%
Diddillibah
76.25%
Lennox Head
73.98%
SEE AREA REPORTS ON SMART PROPERTY INVESTMENT WEBSITE
Subscribe to Newsletter

Ensure you never miss an issue of the Real Estate Business Bulletin.
Enter your email to receive the latest real estate advice and tools to help you sell.