Powered by MOMENTUM MEDIA
realestatebusiness logo

Breaking news and updates daily. Subscribe to our Newsletter!

Home of the REB Top 100 Agents
Breaking news and updates daily. Subscribe to our newsletter

Website Notifications

Get notifications in real-time for staying up to date with content that matters to you.

rpm logo latest

Warning raised over ‘potentially deadly’ gas supply

By Emma Ryan
12 November 2019 | 1 minute read
Perth Magistrates Court

Property owners, managers and tenants are advised to issue caution after work completed by a registered gas fitter saw an “extremely hazardous situation” break out at a WA residence.

An unnamed registered gas fitter, who is not being identified due to a spent conviction granted at the time of sentencing, has been ordered to pay more than $10,000 for his “potentially deadly” gas connection of a natural gas cooker to a liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) supply, which saw a fireball erupt when the appliance was used.

The matter was prosecuted by Building and Energy in the Perth Magistrates Court, with the gas fitter pleading guilty to two breaches of WA’s gas regulations.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“The court was told that in 2017 the gas fitter attended an Applecross unit and removed the property’s existing cooker, which had two labels identifying its gas type as LPG or propane,” a statement from Building and Energy explained.

“He then installed a new cooker that was designed and approved for use only with natural gas, which was stated on the appliance’s official data plate. The court heard that the gas fitter noticed the flames were higher than usual when he tested the new cooker.

“The following day, the tenant tried to light the appliance and her hair was singed by a fireball from accumulated gas above the burner.”

In handing down her sentence, Magistrate Tanya Watt said the gas fitter was “very fortunate that the installation did not have more serious consequences such as an explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning”.

Director of Energy Safety Saj Abdoolakhan welcomed the significant fine.

“It’s no exaggeration to say this was an extremely hazardous situation that could have resulted in serious injury or death,” he said.

“Natural gas cookers have considerably larger gas injectors compared to those using LPG, causing excessive gas flow in a mismatched installation such as this. This results in bigger flames and the risk of a fireball or explosion from the built-up gas. There is also a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“We will continue to hold gas fitters to account if they fail to ensure every part of an installation they work on is safe to use and complies with the regulations and manufacturers’ instructions.”

Warning raised over ‘potentially deadly’ gas supply
Magistrates Court WA reb
lawyersweekly logo

ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan

Emma Ryan is the deputy head of editorial at Momentum Media.

Emma has worked for Momentum Media since 2015, and has since been responsible for breaking some of the biggest stories in corporate Australia, including across the legal, mortgages, real estate and wealth industries. In addition, Emma has launched several additional sub-brands and events, driven by a passion to deliver quality and timely content to audiences through multiple platforms.

Email Emma on: [email protected]com.au

Subscribe to our RPM
mailing list

 

Do you have an industry update?

top suburbs

12 month growth
Travancore
49.78%
Timboon
49.57%
Dolphin Point
49.51%
Nyah West
49.42%
Preston Beach
49.29%
Newington
48.97%
Killcare Heights
48.89%
Wundowie
48.77%
Homebush
48.44%
Glenside
48.28%
SEE AREA REPORTS ON SMART PROPERTY INVESTMENT WEBSITE
Subscribe to Newsletter

Ensure you never miss an issue of the Real Estate Business Bulletin.
Enter your email to receive the latest real estate advice and tools to help you sell.