Routines, periodics – whatever name you would like to give them, these tasks are all too easily forgotten.
Your inspections don’t need to be nightmare tasks. An inspection is a great opportunity to check how the property is being maintained and advise the owner of any maintenance that may be needed (now or in the future) to maximise the potential of their investment.
With winter settling in, it’s tempting to hibernate in the warmth of your office and avoid the outside world, but it is important not to forget the crucial task of routine inspections.
- When it comes to routine inspection frequency, it is important to check the legislative requirements for your state. For example, in NSW you are not allowed more than four inspections in a 12-month period, which can make it interesting should you be carrying out quarterly inspections and need to go back for any reason. You may find that you hit your quota faster than you would think.
- Create an inspection schedule for your properties, organised by due month or by geographical zones, and plan to send out a month ahead. Your property management software can assist in automating this process.
- Don’t get locked into individual times. Allow yourself flexibility by allocating a time range.
- Give yourself plenty of time. Most visits will take around 15 to 30 minutes. This will allow time for you to explore issues that are concerning the tenant and inspect the property.
- Ensure that you provide the correct notice in writing to the tenant to advise of the inspection and include information such as the use of a master key and that you may take digital images of the property at the inspection. Including an information guide of the expectations of condition, as well as a maintenance form, can also be helpful.
The most important point when it comes to your inspections is to stay safe. This industry unfortunately deals with some volatile personalities and it pays to trust your instincts. Don’t ever put yourself in a situation where you may be in harm’s way and if you feel threatened, take someone from your office with you. Your safety and sanity are paramount in this game.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Heidi has been immersed in property management for over 14 years’ dealing in all aspects from leasing, property management, business development and team management. Adding to the mix with 5 years as a Trainer and Consultant, Heidi has worked with small and medium-sized rent rolls in implementing systems and procedures to increase efficiency, growth and profitability within agencies.
Heidi brings enthusiasm and energy to Real Plus and is passionate about system implementation; procedures and staff training that can assist in reducing stress and saving time while helping clients have a more profitable property management business.